Posts by Jerryn

Nitrado now has an official Discord server to bring communities, friends and other gamers together!
Join the Nitrado Community Discord now and share your experiences and knowledge with others!

Click here to go to the Discord Server!

Well, that was not fun, but I final got the server running. I had to bring in mods in groups, let it get fully started, and then shut down each time.

what do you mean by bring mods in groups? Iv tried just adding one mod at a time still cant get it to restart.

Basically the same thing. I just did like 5 or 10 at a time (depending on their size). It was a very slow process.

Hmmm...I finally got mine to start, once I pulled the mod list. Now I am slow walking the server, by adding in some of the mods and then restarting. I will take me 3 to 4 restarts to pull it off, since a few a large mods (but great mods).

Well, that was not fun, but I final got the server running. I had to bring in mods in groups, let it get fully started, and then shut down each time.

No mods

Are you running a lot of mods, especially large mods?

Hmmm...I finally got mine to start, once I pulled the mod list. Now I am slow walking the server, by adding in some of the mods and then restarting. I will take me 3 to 4 restarts to pull it off, since a few a large mods (but great mods).

To be fair, some of us have updated the game and changed the map in settings, but cannot get the server to start. I have tried multiple times, and eventually it just goes back to a stopped state.

At this point, I have one other thing I am going to try(once I can get into settings again...still not consistent). If that fails, and barring divine intervention, I will probably give up and start a new server (if I am going to start from scratch, going to do what causes me the least short and long term issues); at least I can cluster with my Lost Island server, if I later decide to do so.

Already had to apologize to my players for the delay.

i made it to general settings once, changed map and tried to save only to get a 504 and cant get back to general settings

Had that happen, but it did seem to save my setting.

Now, the server is just starting, and has been for a while. Not looking good.

(Almost) Some possible good news. I got the settings page (General) and set the map to Fjordur, but it timed out when I was saving the change.

Will see if it saved before the time out or after, if I can get back again.

Here is hoping.

It took several tries (and about 24 minutes) but got back to the settings again, and the change in map took, so I am trying to start the server now.

Again, here is hoping.

(Almost) Some possible good news. I got the settings page (General) and set the map to Fjordur, but it timed out when I was saving the change.

Will see if it saved before the time out or after, if I can get back again.

Here is hoping.

Well i need the webinterface to selevt the map

You may get the interface but right now you will just 504 when selecting general to change the map.

Happening to many(all?) of us.

I know it can take some time for the updates to propagate to all of the servers; I can accept that (with in reason). Took a little over 2 hours, but the server updated about 2 hours ago. A bit of bitter pill when you wait patiently, get the update, but then can't do anything with it.

Only using the server because I have 199 days left on it and was not using it for anything else; abandoned the server back in April so I could get my Lost Island server running.

My server has been stuck for like 24 hours now. Support that is suppose to be "24" hour support does not pickup i have sat in a que for 20 minutes 3 times and all times has ended with me being disconnected.
    The wierdest things is the server still works for some people, and they can play but as soon as i connect it crashes within 5 minutes, but on the dashboard its just stuck on restart.

I thought i was gonna give Nitrado a second chance, but honestly this is a Fing joke, like why would i pay you anything when you cant even have your support avilable at the promised times? How are you even allowed to continue your business?

If you are having the same issue as I am having, the people that can connect and play could lose their progress, because it might not be making saves now, and if you cannot close the server correctly, it can't update the main save file.

Since I had the day off, and got nothing else to do now, I copied everything and going to see if this problem follows to a new setup.

Problems appear to develop first with the game failing to perform a world save. I have notice that they will stop at a certain point. At that time, the ability to communicate with some part of Ark appears to stop. The CP no longer shows useful/valid info and appears to have no real connection to the running instance of the game.

You can stop the server from the CP, but it does nothing...game keeps running(still in the session list). If you can connect, doing a Cheat SaveWorld does nothing. Also tried a Cheat DoExit, which will eventually drop you from the server, but it stays running. Sometimes, you can continue to be able to reconnect after that.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to just kill the process, which is what is keeping a restart from happening. The only success I had was to do a full reinstall, which seemed to give me a new IP address, or just let it set for a very, very long time, and then some sort of divine intervention eventually happens; of course, those are many hours of lost play time.

I am experimenting with a server backup recovery, but that, so far, is just dragging on...and the server still shows in the session list. (update) But that only seems to restore the files(after deleting everything....so make sure you backup recent files, just in case) and does not force the game to stop while this is happening. So, another failure.

To limit role backs, I do backup all of the recent data and once I finally get to a point where I can start the server, I unzip what appears to be a good save and place it on the server in place of the older .ark file (just in case). Since you cannot correctly shut down the server, the .ark file will be whatever it was at the last restart. There are other ways to do this, but it is the method I use for now, since it is working for me. I think this is helpful when waiting for the divine intervention, so that you can ensure the server starts with the file you want to use when you are not present.

Of course, none of that matters if you cannot get to the point of doing a restart.

Sadly, I have lost hours and days of time on this (worse when it is one of the few days I have for playing). And, even trying to reach Nitrado by phone just gets you a 20 minute wait to leave some info. I just want someone to stop the game instance and I can handle it from there.

I am also waiting for the update, as I want to disable the default item set. Had been wasting time debugging why the setting was not work, when I remembered that Nitrado is sometimes slow to roll out those updates. So I got players ready to go, but I cannot take the last step. Patch has been out for 13 hours...hopefully we will not have to wait much longer.

but if we have 3x3 cluster where 5 grids are PVP, and 4 grids (servers) are PVE, don't we need to make the change for each server that needs that setting enabled?

As far as I know, you have to. Same if you have different settings in your game.ini, other than those from the General control panel.

For example, at least with my game.ini, I have most of the dangerous animals turned off on the home server, and SotD turned off on 3 servers, but left on another server.

The hard part is when you change settings via the control panel and also change settings directly in the .ini files. I usually do the control panel first, restart all of the serves, then, once they have restarted successfully, I stop them, update the .ini files, and then restart them all again. And then make backup copies, because sometimes, the settings get partially wiped.

Jerryn - thanks for the detailed suggestion. Know that we have done exactly what you outline, along with many other suggested work-arounds. The problem for us is that is still will not work properly nor consistently across all grids. You would think it should, but it doesn't. Worse, sometimes the same solution will end up with different results (i.e. one time it works on 1 grid, another time the SAME method doesn't work on any grid).

Yeah, this is true.

I just added the Atlas Plus mod yesterday, and one of my servers refused to start. Had go to an older back up to get it to recover. I will probably let the other servers expire and experiment with the one for a while, until I feel like the stability is there.

When I update my .json, I usually use the Server Grid Editor; GitHub - GrapeshotGames/ServerGridEditor: ServerGridEditor for Atlas. Nitrado also has a short tutorial here: https://wiki.nitrado.net/en/server_grid_editor. I just unzip the Server Grid Editor into my main Atlas folder; /ServerGridEditor-master.

If you are using the default 2X2, it is included with Server Grid Editor download, along with a couple of other types, including the 1. Or, you can download your current one and put it into the /projects sub-directory of the Server Grid Editor. I usually make a copy before I edit...just in case.

After you open in the editor, just click Project, then Edit, and in the modal, there will be a spot for Mod IDs; just type in the list you want to use, and then click the Edit button at the bottom (basically it is the OK or Save button).

Then click Project and Save.

At the bottom of the Editor is a bunch of options, unclick Show Discovery Zone Info; otherwise, the next step will glitch. If you are doing customer islands and plan to upload the maps, you may also want to unclick Show Island Names.

Lastly, I click Export, and then All. This will create the .json you will want to upload, and plus mag images(only need to upload those if you change the islands). It will ask you where to save them; I created a sub-directory in the Server Grid Editor called /Export.

To upload, I do the following:

• I stop all of the servers
      • I am not sure if this is necessary, but given its tendency to overwrite whatever you upload for other files, if the server is still active, I figure better safe than sorry.
    • Once the server(s) has been down for a few minutes, I goto Configure Your Atlas and upload the .json from my /Export directory (don't use the .ServerOnly.json). Make sure to wait for the pop up that tells you the upload/update is complete.
      • And, don't worry about the name, as it will copy to where it wants the .json. For example, for every file I edit, I add a version number on it: My Map - V3.json, My Map - V4.json, My Map - V5.json, etc. I just pick the one I want.
    • Then, I restart the servers and wait (usually with a small prayer). If you are doing a lot of mods, this can take a bit.

You may also want to consider starting with just one mod, making sure it all starts and works okay, and then add another mod a later (you may even want to wait until you have a backup).

One item to note about the Server Grid Editor, if you use the Save feature and save your grid under a new name, and that is the name you want to continue work with, once the save is complete, you will need to go and open that file; the Server Grid Editor will still think your are in the file you originally opened.

Also, if you decide to build your own custom map, I would start with one of the maps that is included, as they have the default Server Templates, and include Polar, Tundra, Temperate, Tropical, Equatorial, and Desert.

Lastly, with the Customer Stacks mod, I would be careful. I had it sink a ship early on in its development, as it does a lot of recalcs when running and has done a lot of coding to deal with server start ups, changing maps, etc. I use it only for stack sizes and disable the weight reductions. Also, sometimes, especially after reboots, the stacking needs a nudge, as the stacking does not always work; I usually have to bring the items into the character inventory to get the stacking to work. This is not a major issue, just a minor thing you have to watch, especially for stacking food, which is one of the main benefits.

For weight management, I use the Cargo Box mod. The Cargo box has 4 models (2 for land and 2 for ships) and you can used the Cargo Box mod directly on the cargo saddle (which is great). However, the Resource version of the Cargo box does not work like a resource box(except you can only dump resources in it), so you will still need a regular resource box (otherwise, you will lose your crew if you rely on the resource box to pay them).

I usually make up for Resource box by using the Atlas Better Stuff mod; it has a Resource Box with weight reduction. However, it is a big mod and one that I have had issues with after updates. Also, the mod author is splitting that mod in the near future(Apr 1) and dropping a few things, so you may want to wait for that to occur before checking out/using their mods. They are also recommending to use the Atlas Plus mod, which I have not tried yet(but plan too), so cannot advise on that yet.

So, before I write anything else, I want to be clear, I fully understand the risks that come with EA and using mods. Have been doing it for a few year now, from lightly modded to not-so-lightly modded (size and number). :D Only ever lost one server, and that was more my fault that the mod and the Ark update that made things go poof.

Furthermore, this is not a gripe, just some of my observations and experiences, and probably some opinions/guesses. Take them for what you want.

The issue, at least for me, isn't adding or removing mods. I can do that without much issue via the .json.

It is when a mod updates. After that, all bets are off.

Issues I run into after a mod update include:

- Mod cabinets and other objects in the game go away.

- Learned mod skills become unlearned and/or cannot be learned

- Some mod engrams from a learned skill are not accessible/usable

- Mod objects become unstable and cause disconnects when accessing
    - Mod related commands do not work; such as to access an admin panel

- One or more servers become unstable; constant reloads, cannot query, timeout during connect. etc.

These are usually symptoms of a mod that has not fully downloaded or installed correctly; of course, sometimes an update to the core game will break stuff.

And, to be clear, at the first sign of trouble, I don't throw up my hands and blame anyone. I try to work out the issues, including respecing the character, destroying and rebuilding mod related objects, checking for updates/info from the mod(s) Steam page, reviewing the patch notes from any updates to the game, checking the forums, and even giving the server a restart. And, of course, on the client side, un-subscribing and re-subscribing to the mod(s).

Sometimes, I just ignore the issue and play on; minor content I can live without.

However, sometime, the only thing that seems to fix the issue is to restore from a backup, which can result in a full day(or more) rollback, and takes a bit of time to complete. And, with multiple servers, the backups are not synchronized, so it can get tricky.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to do a rollback like you can do in Ark, using one of the many saves. Also, there does not appear to be a way to force a mod to re-update. At least with the ability to do saves and short rollbacks, you could save(save point), stop, drop the mod, restart, stop, re-add the mod, start, test, stop, and restart for the saved point(or further back in case of a bad mod update that resulted in lost objects). This does assume that upon dropping and re-adding the mod, the game will re-download and re-install the mod.

Even being able to setup a more aggressive backup schedule(and keep it synced between the servers) and/or being able to take your own backup would take some of the sting out of doing a restore from backup.

Currently, I am not inviting anyone to the servers because I cannot guarantee enough stability; I would never guarantee 100%, but I have enough issues and restores from backup that I would not want to subject players to that experience.