Switching Maps: Request for a Definitive Answer

• My S.O. and I have been playing Ark on the Island map for some time. We've put a ton of work into it, obviously. At some point we'd like to switch maps (maybe even switch to Primitive or something) but I see conflicting information on what happens to our Island map. I know we can move our tames with us, but we have structures and resources and such we'd want to have when we come back to the Island. What happens to the data on the Island map if we switch to Scorched Earth or Ragnarok or something? And can you switch to Primitive retroactively? There seems to be a check box I can just hit, but does it wipe out the data and start fresh or does it retroactively set it to Primitive?

• Yes you can Switch between all the maps you'd Like!!! each map and variation of the game will have its own save withing the backup section. Just make sure to have the correct stuff checked off so you can transport your dinos and stuff from map to map.

Here is the page about switching maps via our Nitradopedia

https://wiki.nitrado.net/en/changing_the_map_of_your_ark_server

When it comes to game switching its slightly different

5.game_switching_features_and_dangers

Welcome to the Nitrado Forums!

• Hi,

Ive just done everything suggested when changing the map to scorched earth and it has still tried to load my old character, when it did load it said i left my prevous tribe.

Tried switching back to the island and my character had been reset there. tried to get my save game back ive tried server reboots with old save game data and it still wont work, now trying a full server back up to hopefully fix this.

• Darkridershane when you switched back to the island was the entire map reset or was just your character itself reset?

If you map itself was completely wiped a backup should fix this issue. If your character was reset I want to make sure you had loaded your character into the obelisk or drop. And also make sure if it's a cluster that they're not password protected this will usually help with the kicking from tribe issue.

Please keep me updated hopefully this all works for you

• Ive managed to restore the lost progress and now through trial and error I've worked it out. Yes you may play multiple maps fine and switching is very easy but you must only play as one survivor and not respawn a new character. This wasn't clearly mentioned, the FAQ said that it had it own save per map which lead to believe multiple characters but this is not the case.

• Ive managed to restore the lost progress and now through trial and error I've worked it out. Yes you may play multiple maps fine and switching is very easy but you must only play as one survivor and not respawn a new character. This wasn't clearly mentioned, the FAQ said that it had it own save per map which lead to believe multiple characters but this is not the case.

Thank you for posting I'll look more into this. I know I have multiple characters across multiple maps. I don't see why it would be any different with having multiple maps on the same server. They should be all separate saves with separate characters across each. Unless you are choosing to upload your character and then redownload it onto the new map.

• I didn't upload the via the obelisk, I wanted a fresh survivor. When I switched maps and saved a restarted the server, once on the new map you get the selection screen. I had the choice to respawn with my original character, if I chose the respawn with a new character it wiped my entirely. But please do do see if you have the same results, it would be nice to have multiple characters on multiple maps. I would do multiple servers but seeing as it's only me and my partner playing there isn't much point in it.

• Alright so I have the same question. We are about to switch to Scorched Earth from the Island. Am I alright starting a new character on Scorched Earth and then being able to return to the Island with my original character? Or do I have to upload my original character and move it between maps?

• Yes, you can switch maps. But be aware as either you start a new character or use existing (assuming you used the correct server settings to upload character) it adds over time to the same "profile" savefile. I say this as everyone knows as with any game you run the risk of a corrupted file. This happens for many reasons. Once that 'profile' savefile is corrupt all characters under that ID will be corrupted. Personally I wouldnt recommend switching maps back and forth.

Also note... and this is the most important one...

Eventually your original gamefile will be overwritten. Example: Play original map theIsland for 6 months, switch over to Rag. Then in 30 days you switch back to theisland. It may not be there. We are unable to say when that file will be finally overwritten. I see more posts here and other communities saying about 30 days. But I have seen and experienced 2-3 weeks. All depends on how active the server is.

If you do some additional forum searches this has been answered a few times. ;)

• DOAGEN

Closed the thread.