Project Zomboid Server Reset and Difficulty

Nitrado now has an official Discord server to bring communities, friends and other gamers together!
Join the Nitrado Community Discord now and share your experiences and knowledge with others!

Click here to go to the Discord Server!
  • Hello!

My friends and I have been playing project zomboid on my server and I've been a bit confused with what is happening. I saw that to restart the world you have to reinstall the server, which I've done twice now. It doesn't seem like it's properly resetting, or the difficulty is set too high. I also can't find anywhere in the configs if it's possible to change the difficulty of the server. Is there a way to set it? When we first started on the server it was a gradual increase in the difficulty and amount of zombies, but now there's giant hoards everywhere when we first start. Our maps also don't reset so it's making it seem like not everything is resetting. As far as the power and water go, it's acting like we've started fresh but the spawning is obnoxious. It's making it incredibly difficult to play especially with our friends that are new to the game.

• I was having the same issue with difficulty. After some digging around in the files I found the proper place to tweak things.

First, you'll want to stop the server. Then using the "File Browser" under "Tools" navigate to Zomboid\Profile\Zomboid\Server. Once you're in that directory the files of note are "servertest.ini" (which you can edit directly through the website under "config files") this is your general server options, list the mods you want the server to run, etc. The other file to pay attention to is "servertest_SandboxVars.lua", this has all the in-game variables in it and unfortunately you cannot edit this through the website like you can with servertest.ini You'll have to download it and manually change the settings by opening it with notepad. Here you can change the amount of character creation points you are assigned at the start (the "CharacterFreePoints" line), you can adjust the abundance of different loot that spawns throughout the game world ( I turned up Weapon, RangedWeapon, AmmoLoot, MedicalLoot, and CannedFoodLoot). All these values just have a number assigned, I think its a range of 1-10, 1 being the least amount and 10 being the most. I didn't turn anything higher than 5 though. You can also set how many weeks until water/electricity shut off and how zombies bahave, you can make them faster or slower you can make it so they cant hear or see as far, etc.

Once you have everything set how you want you save it, delete the old "servertest_SandboxVars.lua" in the servers file browser, then upload your newly edited one and restart your server. This worked for me!

• This didnt work for me.

Deleting the servertest.ini did but now i cannot reupload it or change a lot of settings.

Did you run the server at least once? I think it might need to run once before it will populate any of those config files.

You DONT want to delete servertest.ini, you only want to delete "servertest_SandboxVars.lua" but only AFTER you've downloaded it, edited it in notepad and are ready to upload your newly edited version.

Once you open "servertest_SandboxVars.lua" with notepad it should look like this, and you can just edit these values and reupload your edited version to replace the old default one

• Done more tinkering, finially got the admin account in-game working and it seems like the loot rarity is just 1-5 NOT 1-10

1= Very Rare

2= Rare

3= Average

4= Common

5= Abundant

So if you set something in the lua file to 6 it actually makes it wrap back around to 1 in the game and you'll get very rare on that item.

Once you can log in as an admin in the game you can adjust all that stuff in the UI and its a lot easier to do.

• DOAGEN

Closed the thread.