Fix for rubber-banding lag and mod support?

Nitrado now has an official Discord server to bring communities, friends and other gamers together!
Join the Nitrado Community Discord now and share your experiences and knowledge with others!

Click here to go to the Discord Server!
  • Good afternoon,

while we are happy with our Nitrado Server, which is running stable, we are also experiencing the rubber-banding multiplayer lag when there are 4 or more players on our server.

Every players latency is bewtween 7ms and 16ms but the interactions with objects and npcs are delayed from time to time. Up to 5-10 seconds in bad situations. It is however still a rare problem and playable.

This problem seems to be game-files related:

"Valheim players, if you encounter some extreme rubber banding and skipping during multiplayer and can’t attribute it to one person’s connection or faulty server hardware, it is most likely due to the game’s 60kb upload cap and the tendency for players to hit the cap in complex multiplayer situations. Hopefully this guide will help you out but it goes without saying, I do not guarantee anything."

(Quoted from: Valheim How to Fix Multiplayer Lag - SteamAH )

The community solution seems to be to edit the "assembly_valheim.dll" and change the maxiumum Upload limit of Data per Client to an increased value which seems to help most people.

However i do not wish to temper with the server dll files myself in order to garanty a continueing smooth Valheim gaming experience on out Nitrado server.

My question therefore is:

Is Nitrado aware of this solution and might implenent it?

Related to modifying game files my second question is:

Will there be mod support any time soon? There are already a couple of promising mods out there.

Best regards and thank you in advance

• I'll move this thread to the suggestion and wishes area.

As far as i know, nitrado is aware of it. If you want, you can also send a support ticket and request those options to be available. The more players are requesting it, the more likely it is, nitrado will implement it.

No support via PM.

Important: Mods here in the forum do not have access to your services. If we advise you to contact the support, you have to create a ticket or call them. There is nothing we can do.

• Thank you for the information.

Our technicians and developers will have a closer look into the mentioned fix and check if it will also help on our Servers.

If there are further questions or uncertainties, please contact us again.

Until then I thank you for your trust in us and wish you a nice day.

• I've upgraded my server as high as it goes to no avail and will be changing hosts if it isn't fixed when my paid month runs out.

Keep in mind, the "hardware performance upgrade" hast no effect for other games besides Minecraft and Farming Simulator. (This is also clearly described during the upgrade process)

No support via PM.

Important: Mods here in the forum do not have access to your services. If we advise you to contact the support, you have to create a ticket or call them. There is nothing we can do.

• Unfortunately there is no ETA yet, but we are already checking if and how we can add Mod Support for the Game.

This is too slow like many others we already jumped ship... There is no time to see "how to add mod support" well first , try to give us access to our servers instead ....

• My stream team and viewer community have really been enjoying the dedicated server, but the lag is pretty atrocious with 4+ people. I chose Nitrado because of reputation, but it seems like they are a somewhat behind the curve in this situation. We don't care too much about mods, but other providers appear to have implemented the lag/latency fix and if Nitrado still has not at the end of our service period in 30 days, we will be leaving for another provider as well.

• same here, I'm mostly happy with nitrado for most games, but the implemention of new stuff is often quite slow compared to others. May this be because nitrado is doublechecking everything before releasing a bugged implementation, we dont know. But this lags/rubber band/delays are rly annoying and I read of so many ppl where this fix valheim+ mod did help. Ticket is already open and created, please fix that situation.

• Keep in mind, the sever isn't necessary the cause for the lag, please read the following wiki article and see for yourself if this might be the cause:

https://wiki.nitrado.net/en/faq:_valheim

If this doesn't help you and you're sure its not the problem for your lag, please contact the support.

No support via PM.

• Keep in mind, the sever isn't necessary the cause for the lag, please read the following wiki article and see for yourself if this might be the cause:

https://wiki.nitrado.net/en/faq:_valheim

If this doesn't help you and you're sure its not the problem for your lag, please contact the support.

the desync problems are definitely caused by the server as soon as more than 3 players are online. Mobs and other players freeze in the air, chests and carts are no longer accessible for as long as half a minute, building / demolishing does not work. When hosting peer-to-peer these problems occur way less, if they appear at all.

When hosting a dedicated server using valheims own server tool you can use the above fix of allocating more network resources for smooth gameplay with up to 7 (!) players, something I would not even want to try on nitrado valheim servers at the moment.

I've been with Nitrado for a long time, valheim is the first time I have not been happy with the offered services. While I understand that hosting servers for a very new game is challenging, at the moment simply hosting ones own server seems to be the only way to enjoy the game with more than 3 friends online at the same time.

• As everyone else has already stated, I'm ready to jump ship. I've put in my support tickets, so maybe this will help those who can't/won't leave Nitrado. As for me, this is wildly disappointing.

(mostly, I'm just bumping the post for those of you staying behind. Maybe Nitrado will notice how many are willing to leave for it, and show more concern.)